The last week in Welly

When I finished working last Friday, I thought this last week in New Zealand would be very relaxing, after all we had almost everything very well organized, we had only a few last details to sort out, little things yet to buy, pack the bags and leave.

Clearly, the practice is quite different from the theory, opposite, in this case! This week has been the busiest week ever… we have done so many things everyday that I’m already tired when I wake up.

I’ve been washing all our clothes, the ones we are taking with us and those that will be stored here also, a few every day, I mean, a lot every day. Now I still have a pile of clothes to be ironed waiting for me.

For two days we were walking in the centre, looking for things that we still had to buy, and when I say two days walking, I really mean two days walking, non-stop, up and down.. and at the end of each day we thought “it’s good to get used to this, we’ll have several days like this in the coming months.” Oh my little legs!

Some things we bought:
– A day pack, that was a birthday present from Felipe to me, and another little foldable nylon backpack which turns into nothing;
– Rain covers for the backpacks (we decided not to buy any new large backpack, we will use our old ones that are still ok);
Plug adaptors.. why each country must have a different type of socket?;
– In the pharmacy: pain killer, imodium (very important!), hydrogen peroxide, band-aid and repellent;
– Little calculator, we found one that is peferct for converting currencies, it’s nice;
– We followed another tip from Juliano to buy something to boil water, we found a “water boiler” that’s quite common in Brazil but is the first time I see here, was not very cheap ($40) but is much smaller than a jug.

Yesterday was a horrible rainy and cold day, perfect to stay at home, but we went out and had lunch with Greg, a very dear friend of ours that we hadn’t met in months. We also went to the supermarket to buy the ingredients for the “bobó de camarão”, a Brazilian dish made with mandioca and prawns, that we will make for our last “flatdinner” (dinner with all flatmates) here at home. Reminding that we don’t have a car anymore and we are doing all this on foot or by bus.

We spent the rest of the day packing and storing the stuff that will stay here: books, tools, pieces of decoration and one thousand other little things.

Today’s plans are: finish washing the clothes, iron the ones that have already been washed, finish packing everything, including clothes and shoes that will stay here, cook the dinner and have a nice night with friends and Brazilian food. The Samoan/German dessert will be made by Lagi and Sven (our flatmates).

The hardest part will be choosing the clothes, shoes and things that go in the backpack and necessaire from those that will be stored here at home until the next year.
Does anyone know how to fit 6 months, 15 countries and all kinds of climate in a 40 litres backpack?

8 comments

• Barbara says:
    • 6 September, 2008 at 12:31 am

Olá,
    estou acompanhando a preparação de voces, eu imagino a correria que deve ser, mas vai dar tudo certo! Uma grande viagem!! Se der tentem atualizar o blog de como está sendo a viagem.
    Abs, Barbara.

• Rose says:
    • 6 September, 2008 at 4:56 am

Oi Cris e Felipe, e aí!! Frio na barriga..é isso aí, agora todo dia será sábado.
    Quero desejar uma jornada maravilhosa para vocês!!
    Vamos estar viajando junto.
    Contem conosco para o que precisarem, ok!!
    Beijo no coração de cada um de vocês.
    Que Deus os acompanhe!
    Rose e Juliano

• Antonio Campos says:
    • 6 September, 2008 at 7:20 am

Querida Filha,

Pergunta difícil não vale mas, como diz o sábio caboclo tupinquim, ” a carga se ajusta na estrada”.
    Beijos mil

• olga skroski says:
    • 7 September, 2008 at 5:55 am

Então????? como estão se sentindo a partir da Largada?
    Ai Ai Ai que sensação de tudo novo!!! Que alegria, que sensação de liberdade!!!
    Cris eu pedi ao Fe… ” Cuide muito bem da Cris” ele me respondeu pode deixar…..fique tranquila.
    Agora quero tomar a liberdade de te pedir também…Cris cuide do Fe!
    E que Deus os acompanhe a cada passo…Excelentes dias …Divirtam-se e estaremos juntos na jornada, juntos para tudo!
    Muitos beijos meus amores!!!
    aguardamos ansiosos!
    Muitos beijos. MAMA

• Cris says:
    • 7 September, 2008 at 7:40 am

@Barbara – foi mesmo corrido, mas agora já está tudo certo, só estamos esperando chegar a hora do primeiro vôo. Prometo que sempre que tiver internet, o blog será atualizado! =)

@Rose – obrigada!! Beijos de nós dois pra vocês e fiquem com Deus aí. Tomara que a gente possa se falar no Brasil..

@Pai – caboclo muito esperto esse! acho que vocês vão receber alguns pacotes aí de coisas que vamos desistindo de carregar pelo caminho.. hehehe

@Olga – Estamos super bem.. hoje é o dia da partida e a ansiedade está começando a bater, bem de levinho.
    Vou cuidar do Fê sim… sempre! =)

1. so you are coming to Bangkok? When? Let me know and we will get together! it will be great to meet other bloggers!

• Theresa says:
    • 9 September, 2008 at 5:45 am

I think now matter how well you plan and organize, the last few days are intensely busy. There’s just so much stuff that can’t be done until the last minute. I thought I was going to go crazy my last week. I was up at all hours, and everything took much longer than I thought it would/should. It’s a pain, but in the end it’s worth it!

• Cris says:
    • 10 September, 2008 at 1:59 am

@Matt – we have a flight leaving Bangkok on the 22nd/Oct, so we’ll be there around these days. Will be really great to catch up! Lets keep in touch.

@Theresa – why things always have to take longer than what you thought it would be? We did everything counting this risk and still it was a big rush! But I guess (hope) we haven’t forgotten to do anything important.