And the journey starts

On Sunday I woke up at 7:15 am with the sun entering by the window, I looked outside and there were a few sail boats at the bay, a light breeze… after a week of intense cold and rain, Wellington brought us a beautiful Sunday to say goodbye.

Felipe was already awake some time ago, working on the computer .. “it’s 7 in the morning, you woke up early, aye? are you anxious?”“a little bit”, he replied.

After getting everything tidy at home and ready to only pick the bags up and leave, we walked by the beach with Sven, Lagi and Cam (who came to meet us and say a last goodbye) to a delicious cafè which is about 20 minutes from home, there we met Carine, André, Lina, Dulce and Decarlos for breakfast and then from there to the airport.

While we were there, a surprise: Lagi and Sven gave us beautiful Jade (greenstone) necklaces, with Koru shaped pendants, which in Maori tradition means the cycle of life (being very brief). And a card that we kept to read at the airport. When we were going back home, following Maori beliefs, Lagi got the necklaces to the sea to have them blessed and be sure that we will return to New Zealand. Thanks darling. :)

We went home also walking, talking and admiring the landscape. Said goodbye to Carine, André and Lina, got the backpacks. I gave a little traditional (supersticious) Brazilian gift to Cam, who is going to South America at the end of the month to spend 1 year over there. Decarlos’ car was carried with our bags and boards and we got a ride with Sven and Lagi to the airport. How good is to have friends like you! Thank you again!

On the way to the airport comments on how beautiful the day was and how difficult it is to describe the feeling of this moment. The heart beating faster and I was getting a little bit dizzy. The house, the path to work everyday, the friends, the beautiful landscapes, the winter, the routine, staying behind us. The airport, the next destination, the news, the unknown, a dream becoming reality, in front of us, getting closer at each meter.

We arrived at the airport, said goodbye, hugs, kisses and more hugs. We did the check-in, a small problem between the name on the tickets and the name printed on the visa made us wait a little more, but it was all good and we stayed wandering around the airport for 2 hours until the boarding time.

The plane had seats as tight as a domestic flight, I got a window seat and Felipe was beside me, beside him a very grumpy guy. We looked at the window, the beautiful landscapes of New Zealand’s South Island, the mountains covered of snow. It was great that they served a delicious lunch, because I was starving! Wine to drink, coffee and ice cream to finish. Yum yum!

We arrived in Sydney at 17:30, looking from above the city looks like a four times amplified Auckland, with a concentrate of high buildings in the centre and the rest of the city is made of houses or low little buildings and very very spread. We watched the sunset, the airplane turned around and we could see the city, lightened by the orange sun. Hello Sydney, hello Australia!! 😀

Immigration and customs were super easy, except for the moment that I was getting the trolley for the luggage. I got the first one, it moved a little and started to brake, I thought it had some kind of problem with the wheel, then I got the second one and the same thing happened. Oops. It took me a few seconds to realize that the trolley had brakes and I needed to push a bar to release the wheels. Living and learning, right?! heheheh

I need to thank (again) Fernanda, my friend with whom we are staying here in Sydney, for picking us up at the airport. From there to Manly, the suburb where she lives and is in the northern part of the city, it might take about one hour driving. It’s faaaaaarrr. A friend rang Fer telling she was at a pub and we went there straight from the airport, we spent a couple of hours chatting at this pub and then we came to Fer’s apartment, left the bags and went out again for a walk around the suburb.

Manly has its own life,including it’s own municipal council, and it seems that it does not depend on the centre of Sydney in anything. It has a charming little centre, with a street for pedestrians only, as it is Sunday night, several pubs and clubs were open, all of them full of people. Everything here is very similar to New Zealand, very similar!

The apartment that Fer lives is a duplex two blocks from the beach and four from the ferry that goes direct to the centre of Sydney, exactly what we did on the next day, but I will leave this story for the next post.

14 comments

• Mari says:
    • 10 September, 2008 at 1:54 am

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE :)
    Que delícia!!!! Ai, até eu to ansiosa! Hahahah
    Escrevam sempre tá.. quero acompanhar tudinho!
    Boa sorte, aproveitem muito!! Saudadesss!
    Beijão, Mari.

1. Oi, também sou de Curitiba, mas vivo nas Ilhas Canárias. E estou adorando o site de vocês, se vê que vocês fizeram Design!!! Parabéns! E além disso estou amando ler “en directo” sobre a viagem, porfa sigam postando, eu sei que é complicado em alguns momentos, mas ao menos nos deixem saber que tudo vai de vento em popa!
    Beijos

2. Ups, tô colocando o site de vocês lá no Turomaquia, porque realmente eu lhes recomendo!!!

• Juli says:
    • 10 September, 2008 at 12:01 pm

Ai guria!!
    Sei que já disse isso “n” vezes, mas APROVEITEM!!!
    Só de ler os últimos posts de vocês me deu frio na barriga!! Que tudo!!!
    AMO VCS!!
    Se cuidem e não deixem de dar notícias!!
    Beijão

• Anthony says:
    • 10 September, 2008 at 12:46 pm

Finalmente! How exciting! I´m in Porto Alegre on my way to Novo Hamburgo, so I gotta go, but safe travels and enjoy it. The ups and downs, everything!

• Theresa says:
    • 11 September, 2008 at 1:06 am

How exciting that you’re actually on your way now.

• Mirella says:
    • 11 September, 2008 at 1:50 am

Cheguei aqui através do Marcelo Alcantara, ele é fã do blog de vcs e me recomendou!
    Vou aproveitar para me convidar a embarcar nessa viagem com vcs… com certeza ela será fantastica e cheia de dicas!!!! Quero pegar todas… eu e meu marido estamos pensando em fazer uma volta ao mundo mais light, somente 3 meses!
    Abs e bom passeio!
    Ah… ai em Sydney, tentem pegar o ferry e ir até Watson’s Bay… comer um peixinho do Doyle’s (restaurante ou esqueminha fast food). Eu adorei, meio turistico, mas foi um local que nos indicou!

• Rafinha says:
    • 11 September, 2008 at 2:42 am

Oi Cris, oi Lagoa,
    tenho acompanhado vcs desde os preparativos da viagem.
    O site tá mto bacana e interessante.
    Resolvi escrever para desejar boa sorte e uma ótima viagem pra vcs.
    Aproveitem :)
    Abraços

• Anabel says:
    • 11 September, 2008 at 2:07 pm

Que maravilha hein!!!

Curtam muiiiiiito e escrevam sempre as novidades!!

Beijaoo

• Cris says:
    • 12 September, 2008 at 9:49 pm

@TODOS – obrigada pelas mensagens pessoal, estamos curtindo um montao!! Estamos em Perth agora e nao tem internet em casa, entao o proximo post pode demorar uns dias ainda. Vamos contar tudinho sobre Sydney. Pra quem quiser dar uma olhada, tem fotos no Flickr. =)

@EVERYONE – thanks for the messages, guys, we’re enjoying a lot!! We’re in Perth now and we don’t have internet at home, so the next post might take a few days. We’ll tell everything about Sydney. If you want to check the photos, there are a few on Flickr. =)

3. People!!

Estou torcendo muito pra viagem de vocês ser maravilhosaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa…. estou meio quietinha por aqui (trabalhando que nem uma camela), mas saibam que estou acompanhado tudo!!!

Beijos e boa sorte por ai… saudades da AUS!

• Dawn says:
    • 17 September, 2008 at 5:46 am

Isn’t it amazing with one flight it all begins? Congrats on the beginning of an adventure of a lifetime.

• Fuailelagi says:
    • 21 September, 2008 at 8:30 pm

Kia ora & Talofa lava!!!

It has been fun reading your blog – interesting the similarities/differences you see between Aotearoa and our ‘big sister’ Australia.

Am home in Auckland now – for 2.5 weeks. My elder sister’s wedding is this Saturday – I’m really EXCITED 😀

Hope you are both well – will continue to read your about your travels.

Much love to you both!!

• Carrie says:
    • 5 October, 2008 at 3:09 am

It’s been ages since I stopped by. I’ve been thinking of you two. I thought I’d take tonight to catch up on some of your old posts as I finally have some free time. You’ve been busy! And I can see that you’re having a lot of fun. I hope the wedding planning isn’t interfering with anything. :-) Take care and have a safe journey. I’ll be back soon!