Pre-trip updates

Several things happened in the last few days (weeks?), but my days have been so busy that I haven’t been able to update you with the news, real time.

Ok, I confess, the Olympics are taking a lot of my free time! Let me open some parenthesis here and tell you that I’ve been watching the Brazilian athletes compete, live, with brazilian narration, online my PC for free! I mean, kind of free, because Internet is still not free over here.
Services like JustinTV, SopCast and live news on the GloboNews website are preventing me from writing in times of Olympic Games, I cannot avoid looking when I hear the narrator saying, in Portuguese, that another Brazilian is on the tatami,  in the pools, celebrating a goal or a point in a volleyball game.

Now I am taking a little gap, since Sportv is showing a game between Lithuania and Russia that I am not interested at all and will update the site with 7 tasks from our to-do list:

Tidying up the camera to travel

We took the camera to a specialized shop to have the sensor cleaned. The photos were coming with some little dots of dirt, which would not be nice to happen during the trip. We left the camera at the shop and picked it up 2 days later, clean photos now, task #1 met and $80 less in the wallet. Now with the new lens we won’t have to have change lenses all the time and I hope that the sensor don’t get dirty again so soon!

New backpack or old backpack

We’ve been out several times looking for a new backpack for Felipe. We’ve been to several stores, between prices and benefits we ended up not buying anything so far. We’ve decided that we will first separate our stuff and see how our old backpacks are and if everything fit in them, then we’ll decide if we do buy a new one or not. Task #2 still on the to-do list.

Tidying up the car to sell

On the way to Mt RuapehuTwo weeks ago we took the car to a workshop to get the “Warrant of Fitness.” The WoF is a certification that all vehicles are required to get regularly. The car goes through an inspection that will approve or disapprove the conditions to use it. In our car’s case, that is a bit old (12 years), we must renew it every 6 months. The one we had before was valid until October, but we decided to get a new one to sell it, as it also is a guarantee for the buyer that the car is in good conditions. So our car has been inspected and passed in the quality control without any difficulty. Yay, task #3 accomplished and $60 less in the pocket.

Last Saturday must have been the coldest day of the year (it was feeling like -3 degrees, thanks to southerlies winds and rain), even so, there we went to wash the car. The poor car had never been washed since we bought it, one and a half year ago! We went to a service station and used one of those car wash machines that you stay inside the car while it makes the whole service. Well, almost.. yet we had to clean it all with a cloth, inside and outside. After that, we used a vacuum cleaner that works with a $1 coin, and stays on a few minutes, then you put another coin. All this in the rain and cold. To finalize we used a thing that was supposed to be “new car smell,” I guess we are the only ones that believe it in such a thing. Okay, car clean and good smell, let’s take the photos to advertise it and sell.. but then there was no time any more, it was getting dark and still raining, so let’s leave it for tomorrow. Task #4 half-accomplished.
It was worth the trip to Petone.. we got there and saw that the mountains, these ones really close to Wellington, were covered with snow, beautiful!

On Sunday Felipe left at 5:30 in the morning and travelled to Mt Ruapehu to ski, I mean, snowboarding. He spent the whole day there and took with him the car (clean) and the commitment to come back with the photos to make the ad on the internet. Needless to say that he returned full of photos.. the road which was covered with snow, the mountain, snowboarding, friends, and none of the car. Okay, there was one of the car, but the focus was the snow, then there is no point. When I asked why he had not taken the photos, he said “because the car got dirty in the snow.” I really don’t want to comment this.

Some progress with the wedding planning

Wellington on a winter SundayWhile Felipe was at the mountain I stayed in Wellington, enjoyed the beautiful sunny and windless day to walk around and take some pictures of our view from home, which I know I will miss.
Later I talked to my parents via MSN and we made some progress planning the wedding: the venue is already booked. As I had not decided whether I wanted a Saturday or a Sunday, my dad booked it for the whole weekend!! :)
We were talking about numerology, what will be the moon, and other magical things that inspired me to start writing the ceremony. Oh, if you don’t know, I’m writing the ceremony myself, and I was blocked, unable to go through the blank paper. Now that I gave the first step, I think the rest won’t be that difficult. Task #5 half completed. I just need to stop watching the Olympics and I might be able finish it before travelling.

New Zealand driver’s licence

Tuesday was our practical test to convert the Brazilian driver’s licence to the New Zealand one, and then get an international licence. After 11 years driving, we had to do all over again. We passed the theory test 5 months ago and the practical was booked to happen the day before yesterday. Each test was supposed to take 1 hour. Felipe’s test lasted 10 minutes and my one 15.
We both failed in the first part of the test!! :roll:
Of course, nobody here was smart enough to know (remember) that to pass on a driver’s licence test is not only about knowing how to drive and using the common sense, we must know the rules, ALL the rules.
So.. no New Zealand driver’s licence for us this time, and no international licence either. Task #6 failed. Another test now, only next year.

The Indian visa

Today we went to the Hight Commission of India to apply for our tourist visa. We took the forms (completed and signed), 2 passport size photos each (they ended up staying with only one), the passports, an envelope completed with the delivery address (this time I put my work address there) and $110 for each visa.
As it seems that no visa in the world is easy to get, we arrived at the building and the security asked where we were going, we said, he asked us to wait and got the phone. I said that we were there only apply for a visa, he hang up the phone and said that it was not there, we had to go to the Brazilian Embassy. “This guy doesn’t know what he’s saying“, I thought. I showed him the form indicating the address on it. He told us to wait a few minutes that the security guy would be back soon and we could speak to him. So he was not the
“official” security, he was only replacing someone else. When the security arrived, we said what we wanted and he said “9th floor.” Simple!
It was nearly 2 o’clock in the afternoon when we got to the 9th floor and on the door there was a sign with the business hours: from 9:00 to 13:00. Crap, I can’t believe it!
Felipe pushed the door and it was open, inside a very nice Indian lady said “I was almost going home, but you can give me your papers.” Nothing like a non-kiwi to not follow the rules.. to good, of course! :)
It will take seven working days“, she said with an Indian accent not so easy to understand. Task #7 started and proceeding. And my passport once again will be in NZ Courier hands.

** Now I’m going back to watch the Olympics.. Brazil is swimming for a medal!

17 comments

• Eric says:
    • 16 August, 2008 at 11:23 am

Hey Cris – nice to see you again on our site. Glad to see you’ve been productively crossing out items on your task list one after the other. Good luck selling your vehicle :)

• Murilo says:
    • 16 August, 2008 at 7:34 pm

Oi Chris, eu tenho acessado os canais de streaming da tvone para ver alguns eventos das olimpiadas. Apesar de ter conseguido acompanhar alguns jogos do Brasil é meio raro.

Quando vi seus comentários fiquei empolgado mas não consegui ver nada relativo as olimpiadas nos canais tv justin e sopcast. O globo news não é gratuito.

Pode me passar alguma dica?

Obrigado,
    Murilo

• Cris says:
    • 16 August, 2008 at 8:09 pm

@Eric – thanks for passing by too. We’ve just put online the ad to sell the car! The auction is running.. we’ll need luck, thanks!

@Murilo – oi! Tem passado Olimpíadas o dia todo.. no Justintv, clique em “Sports” e depois selecione a opção de idioma Português. Vão aparecer os canais brasileiros, alguns passando, outros não, tem que ir tentando. Um que está transmitindo o Sportv o tempo todo é o “flutv”..
    No SopCast, eu estou assistindo agora mesmo o canal “Eclética TV – Globo Rio”, que é a Rede Globo ao vivo, e eles estão passando os jogos o tempo todo, até porque é madrugrada no Brasil.
    Logo mais tem futebol masculino… e vamos torcer pro Brasil!! 😀

• Murilo says:
    • 16 August, 2008 at 9:23 pm

Chris,
    Valeu MUITO!!!! Estou MUITO empolgado!!! Acabei encontrando o RBS TV (globo ao vivo). YAHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

Sou do Rio e também já estou ligado nos jogos do Flamengo que vão ser transmitidos!!! YAHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

Vou testar o sopcast! YAHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

Como vc deve saber a tvone tambem esta com os canais de streaming e é a melhor opção quando transmitem jogos do brasil, que vai ser o caso do futebol feminino na segunda!

A dica do justin vale um jantar!!!! Fica o convite desde já para quando vcs retornarem!! Estou vivendo em Wlg com minha esposa há dois anos!

Bjs
    Murilo

• Anthony says:
    • 18 August, 2008 at 3:35 am

Hey, only twenty days left! How nice… and the longest twenty days of your life they will be! Can´t wait to see you guys moving on soon… Rio is crazy… heard gunshots outside my window two days ago! Chau!

1. Oi Cris…

Muito bom seu post!! Confesso que fiquei rindo sozinha quando você contou o episódio de snowboardear do Felipe…. hehehe, nem preciso dizer que se fosse o maridex tinha feito a mesma coisa… esquecido do carro… hahaha!

Beijos

2. slowly but surely you’ll get there! :)

• Cris says:
    • 19 August, 2008 at 10:54 pm

@Murilo – que legal que você conseguiu acessar!! Ai, assisti meu time (Atlético-PR) perder pro Flamengo esses dias e foi triste!!
    Em março estaremos de volta e vamos marcar um jantarzinho! :)

@Anthony – it feels like it’s going sooo fast now! Time is flying!
    Rio is really crazy.. the best and the worst in the same place.. I love this city!! Good luck there, be careful and enjoy, enjoy, enjoy!

@Carol – pois é.. agora to rindo também.. hehehe.. mas na hora fiquei tão braba, depois de passar por tudo aquilo pra lavar o carro, ouvir no dia seguinte que ele tá sujo ninguém merece né!?

• Camila says:
    • 20 August, 2008 at 12:51 am

Olá..
    ótima idéia fazer um check list… o lance das mochilas tb, estamos com dificuldades em encontrar muchilas aqui no Brasil, e todas muito muito caras…
    Nossa.. que bom que tudo está dando certo do casamento! essa semana eu fechei som e decoração do meu! agora só faltam umas 200 coisinhas! pq vai ter coisa pra fazer em casamento viu!!! naum imaginava que ram tantas! cada uma num lugar! hehhe

queria perguntar se vocês vão passar por tókio ou não?! Procuramos algumas informações sobre, e vimos que não tem como tirar o visto fora do Brasil, que eles não deixam, tem um monte de regra, é super dificil e talz. Queria saber de vocês.
    Bom é isso!
    sorte ae!

• Fannie says:
      • 8 January, 2017 at 3:49 pm

I’m imedsespr. You’ve really raised the bar with that.

• I am always amazed at how I can walk away from the checkout with 4 or more bags of groceries when I only used a handbasket. But maybe I’m so focused on getting blood back into my arms that I can’t think straight.

• I’ll gear this review to 2 types of people: current Zune owners who are considering an upgrade, and people trying to decide between a Zune and an iPod. (There are other players worth considering out there, like the Sony Walkman X, but I hope this gives you enough info to make an informed decision of the Zune vs players other than the iPod line as well.)

• Theresa says:
    • 20 August, 2008 at 8:49 am

I feel like we’re at the same point as you. We’re getting a lot done, but there always seems to be a million more things on the to-do list!

• Camilo says:
    • 20 August, 2008 at 4:37 pm

só para constar
    o felipe saiu da montanha dizendo: puta q pariu, puta q pariu, puta q pariu, o carro tá sujo. A cris vai me matar

Se nao foi isso q ele disse foi quase isso 😀

• Cris says:
    • 20 August, 2008 at 10:25 pm

@Camila – pois é, uma mochila boa é caro mesmo! Aqui então, é mais caro do que no Brasil. Por isso estamos em dúvida se compramos uma nova ou não.
    Nossa.. eu não consigo me concentrar em todos esses detalhes de casamento.. decidir o lugar e a data já foi difícil, não quero nem pensar no resto!
    Não estamos indo pro Japão não… não dessa vez… então realmente não sei como funciona visto pra entrar lá.

@Theresa – yeah, I think we are at the same stage. I’m afraid that on the last week (days) it might get worse.. and then we realize how many things we still have to do and how short the time is!
    Sometimes I doubt if being organized is a good thing or if it would be better to just decide and go.

@Camilo – você é mesmo um ótimo amigo!!! 8)

• Fontoura says:
    • 22 August, 2008 at 10:25 am

Hummmm… acompanhando as Olimpíadas então… legal!! Mas tem acompanhado o Brasileirão ?? hehehe… 😛
    Bjão Cris!

• Carrie says:
    • 23 August, 2008 at 9:22 pm

Yay! You’re almost on your way. Take each day at a time and things will get done. You’re doing great and I’m super-excited for you!