Break the inertia

I am writing about inertia and already suffering from it, I took at least 10 minutes get out of the first sentence. But what really prompted me to write about this is a feeling that I am starting to have on this trip. We will be 6 months out of our routine, a routine that even after changing countries remains virtually the same, home-work-home and counting the days for the weekend.

When we bought the tickets we started wondering, how would be the life in the country X, how would be the food, how we would communicate in the language Y, but lately, thanks to the rain and cold in recent days, we’ve been living our routine in a more intense (read as repetitive) than normal, and I am kind of having a special joy with my last few weeks of routine, like trying to have the most of it before jump into a “what are we going to do today” life. This repetition is something that we inevitably seek, is comfortable and easy to know that we will wake up at the same time, have the same breakfast, go work by the same way, see the same people and so on, and how difficult it is to change or to adapt to a new environment.

Many people have told me they would like to make a trip like ours, but always comes shortly after an excuse, “I don’t have time”, “I don’t have money”, “it’s not safe”, “I will lose my job”, “I don’t know how to cook”. The fact is, we all can do it, just leave the comfort zone and make it happen. See how you can make it:

You don’t have to be rich

First of all we are not rich, we live in a flat shared with 3 more people, our parents are not giving us money, we didn’t win the lottery and we didn’t rob any bank. Indeed our goal is travel around the world in 6 months with U$D 8,000 each, counting tickets and all the costs. We have’t made any major cut in our costs, in fact we saved a lot just in small things, spending less with unnecessary things (new clothes, last gadget etc ), eating more at home, but this is a topic to be explored in another post. Theresa wrote a great post about the subject, is worth reading.

Be the master of your time

Who there has 6 months of vacation periodically? If you answered no, you might be thinking, my job doesn’t give me this amount of holidays, I can’t leave my business, my children have to go to school. The truth is that nobody is irreplaceable, including ourselves, if you are employed you can try to negotiate with your boss to get someone to replace you, you can try to work remotely or simply resign, if you’re an entrepreneur hire a good manager, leave it with your business partner for a while, close the business for an upgrade or sell the business, you’ll prosper much more professionally and personally if you use your time to develop communication and social skills, managing risk, planning and learning to be flexible, things you exercise intensely in a trip, than simply doing the same thing you have been doing for years. If you have children take a look at the links of widewideworld and a family travelling with 8 children

Be yourself

This is perhaps the most important tip. Absolutely everything push you to have a life as similar as possible with the standards that are widely accepted, it is not easy paddling against the tide especially when you’ve already reached a certain level of security in your life, you turn on the TV (I haven’t watched TV regularly for 2 years) and all you see is people telling you what you must have, be and do if you want to be happy, not to mention family and friends that influence you to have a “normal” life. Everything tends to lead us to get an option of a safer and easier life, but each one has one’s ideal, select a personal project and work hard towards achieving it.

Focus

We can choose anything and anything we choose will keep us closer or further to our personal projects. The problem is to keep loyal to your choices, at least enough to achieve the goals outlined without quitting after a while, so, if you really want to do something, keep your focus on it and let the other plans that come along in stand by. Saving money and buying a new dress or leaving the job and continuing sending CVs definitely don’t work and you are just diverting your goals.

13 comments

1. Oi! Adorei o blog! Deu até vontade de viajar!
    Derek que me recomendou!
    Adicionarei ao meu!
    Beijos

• Pokin says:
    • 7 August, 2008 at 9:17 pm

Great list! I haven’t been on a trip anywhere CLOSE to the length of trip you’ve been on so far, but I still get the same feeling at the end of each trip. I look forward to familiar sheets and a regular routine. But come the last day, there’s always a twinge of nostalgia.

I love your suggestions for how to travel like you. At a certain point, you’ve got to dive in and just do it. Set a deadline, don’t stress about having planned or saved enough, and go!

Happy travels!

• Pri says:
    • 7 August, 2008 at 10:37 pm

Feeee… primeiramente, saudades imensas de vc e da Cris… tá td incrível aqui em Berlim e to mto feliz de ter tomado a decisão de vir! To aqui acompanhando o blog de vcs (leio todos os dias), e esse post realmente me tocou hehehehe.
    Com certeza a inércia e a segurança dos nossos cotidianos acabam nos limitando de certa forma, criando complicações que não existem, medos e inseguranças.
    Desde que estou em Berlim a minha vida mudou completamente e muita gente diria q p/ pior (se for analisar pelo lado materialista), mas eu acredito que estou tendo uma vida muitooooo mais rica em experiências, com tanto mais tempo disponível para me enriquecer intelectualmente, e muito mais distante dos valores que a sociedade nos impõe… não assisto TV, não sei quem tá comendo quem em Hollywood, não sei o que está na moda… ai gente não sei porra nenhuma hahahaha!!
    E é tão bom assim!
    Big up to all those who travel this world to open their minds, enriching others peoples’ lives!!

• Theresa says:
    • 8 August, 2008 at 8:20 am

I think the idea of staying true to yourself and your own goals is so important. I hear from so many people that they want to do a trip like this, but they’re going to wait until they’re retired or their kids move out or their mortgage is paid off or whatever. They wait all their lives to have the life they want. You only get one life, and you get no guarantees on how long that life will be. Why not live each day the way you want rather than waiting for the “perfect” moment? I think very often people are scared to really examine their lives and ask themselves if what they are doing is what they really want to be doing.

• Felipe says:
    • 9 August, 2008 at 9:45 am

@Carol
    Valeu por adicionar o nosso blog na sua lista. E valeu pela visita.

@Pokin
    your blog is great thanks for writing.

@Pri
    Muitas saudades de você tbém. Se existe uma boa razão pra acordar todos os dias com um sorriso na cara é saber que estamos fazendo o que nos deixa felizes. Imagino que você deva estar vivendo uma experiência incrível ai, sempre dou uma olhada no seu flickr pra ver o que vc tem feito.
    Espero encontrar vc no verão no brasil.

@Theresa
    Great comment. I agree completely. In fact I think most people tend to complicate things as an excuse for laziness or fear, because once you realise everything is simple is just up to you to take some action.

• Mark H says:
    • 9 August, 2008 at 2:00 pm

You say it all. It is a matter of priority and if travel is important then you will make it happen. Otherwise you will find an excuse. Treat yourself to travel – the world’s best education.

• Anthony says:
    • 9 August, 2008 at 2:00 pm

Felipe, I second your comment back to Theresa. “How are you getting the money to do this?” Uh, SAVING! I’m not freaking Donald Trump or Bill Gates kid. I’m working for this, fool! I’ve been taking my lunch and micro waving it at work for 7 months and getting pretty damn tired of doing so! I’ve organized myself, I’ve planned it, I’ve dreamed it and I’m dong it in five days! IM NOT RICH!

Sorry, just had to rant :)

2. The first point is totally true. People always assume I’m rich but I’m not. I make travel a financial priority and then I did it!

great post.

• Carrie says:
    • 12 August, 2008 at 3:18 pm

Terrific post! Money and time are excuses. If you really want to travel, then you’ll make it happen no matter what! Good luck to you both. I’m really looking forward to reading about your adventures!

• Dawn says:
    • 13 August, 2008 at 6:25 pm

Love it! All so true. If your priority is to buy a new car, you find a way just like if your priority is to travel, you find a way. I think there is a difference between vacation and travel, too, and most often we only have time for vacation. Vacations cost more than travel as you have a short period of time, fly mostly, etc. Travel you have the opportunity for public transport, staying in one place, etc, all things that save money. Worth every penny.

• Felipe says:
    • 14 August, 2008 at 10:33 pm

@Mark H
    I agree

@Anthony
    I like the Mr. T style comment, and yeah microwaved dinner are mandatory in my lunch menu.

@Nomadic Matt
    Thanks for commenting

@Carrie
    Tnx

@Dawn
    Time is money, but money is also time so if you have more time you can save a lot for sure.

• Rachael says:
    • 27 August, 2008 at 2:13 pm

No excuses eh! Just dreams-made-priorities.
    Great post.

• Felipe says:
    • 27 August, 2008 at 10:49 pm

@Rachael
    Nice to have you here I’m a big fan of yours. Everything you’re doing it is really brave and inspiring. I’m looking forward to read more of your adventures.