Sabbatical leave

Our initial idea was to travel for 1 year, something like “let’s do it now, before we cannot do anymore”, it would be 1 year full of every kind of experiences and then back to the typical life ‘house-car-dog’… But one thing I’m learning is how to adapt and change plans, and I am loving it! In early May we got our New Zealand residency, but so it turns permanent, we have to stay here at least 6 months of each of the first 2 years. Well, traveling for 6 months is not bad too.. And we started seeing the good side of it.. actually we don’t have to take 1 year of our lives to do this and then stop, we can travel for 6 months now.. other 6 months later.. And looking closer, we’ve been on the road for more than 1 year, since we left Brazil, and we still have no idea when we are going back home.

We both work under permanent contract here and we were decided to quit. As soon as we decided the date we wanted to leave, we spoke to our bosses, well in advance. We’ve been bosses before and we know how important it is! To our surprise, their answers were very similar..

“Are you coming back to New Zealand? Would you like to continue working with us? Then you don’t have to quit.. just let me know the dates you’re leaving and returning.” What??! But it’s 6 months! In fact I would never imagine this happening in Brazil, but here it seems to be even common! Something that Phil (Felipe’s boss) called “sabbatical leave”.

Yes, we will be tied here, but we would be coming back here anyway, and it will be nice to return with a guaranteed income and to jobs that we both like!

15 comments

• Anthony says:
    • 6 July, 2008 at 2:51 am

Seems we have something in common: we get to keep our jobs when we get back. My boss is allowing me my two months off (more like 2 months and some days). Although if I pull this stunt off again next year, I don’t know if they’d allow that then… oh well!

I’ll be in Curitiba in late August.

• Bia says:
    • 6 July, 2008 at 4:59 am

Muito legal!! É que imagino que haver muita falta de mão de obra por aí, não???

• Craig says:
    • 7 July, 2008 at 8:02 am

Cris & Felipe –

Take a look at this web site – it’s all about sabbaticals:

The author, Dan Clement, has been very helpful to me as our family has prepared for our RTW trip.

Craig

• Theresa says:
    • 8 July, 2008 at 12:31 am

Wow, that’s awesome. Sounds like you have a good situation there. The job search when we return is not something I look forward to, but we’re planning to relocate, so keeping our current jobs isn’t an option anyhow. My main problem is I don’t know what I want to do!

• Felipe says:
    • 8 July, 2008 at 9:55 am

Oi Bia,
    Quanto tempo hein?? Que combinar de nos falar…
    Então aqui falta de mão de obra qualificada é um problema sério, tem muito emprego e pouca gente pra preencher as vagas.
    Empresas fecham portas por falta de mão de obra. Mas isso afeta todo mundo: tratamentos dentários e médicos são caríssimos e de qualidade questionável, qualquer coisa que você imaginar envolvendo pessoas é muito caro de boia-fria (que alias comem tudo do bom e do melhor) até advogados.
    Muito disso se deve ao que chamam de “kiwi brain drain”, que seria o êxodo de profissionais qualificados pra países como Inglaterra, Australia, Estados Unidos, Singapura, Hong Kong e outros.

• Cris says:
    • 8 July, 2008 at 4:29 pm

@Anthony.. maybe they would.. one year later is a long time. =)

@Craig, thanks a lot for the link. It’s part of my favorites now! Specially your interview there, it’s so inspiring… I’ll keep it in mind for when I have my family too.
    Really, reading your words made me want to do all this again with my future kids! :)

@Theresa, hi! I’m happy you stopped by our site! I guess when you don’t know what you’re going to do next is even better, don’t you think? Waves of possibilities!!!

1. Craig and Cris,

Thanks for the link and the kind words!

Where’d you get the amazing illustration at the top of this post? It’s fantastic!

• Dawn says:
    • 9 July, 2008 at 11:09 pm

that is so great!! that takes a bit of stress off what to do when you return.
    you have some great writing on this blog!! looking forward to your adventures!

• Cris says:
    • 10 July, 2008 at 1:31 am

@Dan, so nice to see you here! Got the illustration on Flickr..

@Dawn, thanks for visiting us. I have to admit that sometimes I don’t believe in my “English writing”.. but your words will keep me on!! Arigato! =)

• Andrea says:
    • 14 July, 2008 at 10:01 pm

É… o ano sabático…. o problema é quando viram oS anoS sabáticoS! hehe
    x

• Cris says:
    • 15 July, 2008 at 11:13 am

@Andrea ja ouviu falar em “lifestyle design”?! essa é a intenção!!! hehehe keep moving 8)

• Thiago says:
    • 22 July, 2009 at 7:20 pm

Posso perguntar que tipo de trabalho vcs fazem aí? Alguma empresa? Que tipo de empresa? Desculpa o “cabimento”…

• Cris says:
      • 22 July, 2009 at 10:00 pm

Thiago, eu trabalho com administração e o Felipe com webdesign. Ambas as empresas são de tecnologia, mas completamente diferentes…

• Catarina says:
    • 10 February, 2010 at 9:57 pm

Que blog bom!!!
    tenho uma proposta a fazer-vos em nome de minube! Entrem em contacto comigo por favor, catarina@minube.com!
    Obrigada!
    Catarina

• Felipe Binotto says:
    • 11 January, 2012 at 11:46 am

Muito bom o desenho! Perfeito para o topico.